Applications are invited from suitably qualified undergraduate female African students admitted to a University, College, or institute of higher learning in Africa for the WAAW Foundation 2023/2024 Scholarship.
WAAW Foundation awards annual STEM scholarships to students who demonstrate need and prove their status as full-time students in a STEM-related course in an African University. Recipients will be required to start a STEM Outreach Chapter at their university.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): WAAW Foundation
Scholarship Type: Partial Funding
Host Institution(s): Institutions in Africa
Scholarship Worth: $500
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Undergraduate
WAAW Foundation Scholarship 2023/2024 | Eligibility Criteria
To be considered for the WAAW Foundation Scholarship 2023/2024, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Female students of African origin, living and studying in Africa.
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate B.S.degree program.
- Studying STEM-related courses in a University or college in Africa.
- Demonstrable financial need.
- Excellent Academic Record.
- Proven leadership, volunteering, and community service.
- Below the age of 32 years.
- Only students in their first and second year are eligible to apply. And also students in their third year if studying a five-year course.
- Eligible Course: All fields of Engineering, All Computer Science, Science & Mathematics related fields; Industrial Chemistry, Biochemistry, Zoology; Agriculture, Geography, Statistics, etc.
How-to-Apply: Interested applicants for the WAAW Foundation Scholarship 2023/2024 are to complete an online application by the application deadline. Applicants are to make available the following:
- Completely filled application form.
- Personal and Contact Information.
- Educational background and Family Information.
- A statement of need should describe why scholarship funds are needed and what the funds will be used for if received.
- Essays are vital criteria in determining candidates who are shortlisted. Responses to essay questions that address career goals and how you expect the WAAW scholarship will assist in your education. Please have your essay responses ready before you begin the application.
- In 500 words or less, please write an essay on your future career goals and how you expect the WAAW foundation scholarship will assist in fulfilling those goals.
- In 300 words or less, please describe what you believe about female education in Africa and its impact on research, development, or advancement in African economies.
- In 500 words or less, what is your proudest achievement to date 4. Describe in ten or fewer sentences why you need a scholarship. Tell us about your need or personal/family/financial situation and how the funds from the WAAW scholarship will assist your education and career plans.
- Two academic/professional references. Note recommendation letters and transcripts ARE NOT REQUIRED at the time of application. ONLY after a candidate has been shortlisted. However, you must provide the names of 2 references in your application.
ONLY Shortlisted candidates will be required to send the following additional items in order to complete this process.
- 2 references; one MUST be written by a professor from your institution of study and the other from an academic supervisor/advisor or mentor to be emailed by your referee.
- A copy of a current signed and sealed transcript from your University is to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. A copy of the student’s School identity card must be scanned and emailed to us.
Application Deadline: November 17, 2023